Velodyne DLS-3500R Review: Affordable Subwoofer with a Punch?
Looking to add some low-end rumble to your home theater or music listening experience without breaking the bank? The Velodyne DLS-3500R subwoofer might be worth considering. This 8-inch powered subwoofer promises room-filling bass with features like digital signal processing (DSP) and multiple listening modes. But is it truly a bass boost for your buck, or are there better options out there? Let’s delve into the Velodyne DLS-3500R review to help you decide.
Affordable: One of the DLS-3500R’s biggest selling points is its price tag. It’s a budget-friendly option compared to many other subwoofers in its class, making it attractive to value-conscious buyers.
- Decent sound quality: For its price, the DLS-3500R delivers decent sound quality. The 8-inch driver and 160-watt amplifier provide enough power to add depth and impact to movies and music. The DSP helps ensure clean and accurate bass reproduction.
- Multiple listening modes: The DLS-3500R comes with four preset listening modes (movies, music, games, and classical) that tailor the sound signature to different content types. This allows for some customization to your preference.
- Compact size: This subwoofer’s footprint is relatively small, making it easy to place in even space-constrained rooms. Its sleek design also blends well with most home theater setups.
Limited low-end extension: While the DLS-3500R produces noticeable bass, it doesn’t reach the super-deep, room-shaking lows of more expensive subwoofers. If you crave truly earth-shattering bass, this might not be your ideal choice.
- Not the most powerful: The 160-watt amplifier might not be enough for larger rooms or those who like to crank up the volume. Additionally, the 8-inch driver has its limitations in terms of air displacement compared to larger drivers.
- Remote control could be improved: The included remote feels cheap and plasticky, and its range could be better.
- Lacks some advanced features: Compared to higher-end subwoofers, the DLS-3500R misses out on features like automatic room correction and app control.
The Velodyne DLS-3500R is a solid budget subwoofer option for those looking to add some bass enhancement to their home entertainment system without spending a fortune. It offers decent sound quality, multiple listening modes, and a compact size at an attractive price point. However, if you crave deep, powerful bass or advanced features, you might need to consider spending more. Ultimately, the decision depends on your budget and bass expectations.