Monoprice 60 Watt Powered Subwoofer Review: Budget Bass Boost or Buyer Beware?
Looking for an affordable subwoofer to add some low-end thump to your music and movies? The Monoprice 60 Watt Powered Subwoofer frequently pops up as a budget-friendly option, but is it worth the price tag? Let’s delve into its features, sound quality, and potential drawbacks to help you decide.
- Compact and Affordable: Measuring a mere 13.75 inches tall, this subwoofer fits easily into smaller spaces and boasts a price tag that’s hard to beat. It’s ideal for desktop setups, living rooms with limited space, or anyone seeking a taste of the subwoofer experience without breaking the bank.
- Basic Features: Equipped with an 8-inch driver and 60 watts of RMS power, the Monoprice subwoofer delivers decent bass extension down to 50Hz. While not earth-shattering, it’s enough to enhance the low-end presence in movies and music. Connectivity options include high-level speaker inputs and line-level RCA inputs, ensuring compatibility with various setups.
- Sound Quality: User reviews paint a mixed picture. Some praise the tight, clean bass that complements small speakers, while others find it boomy or lacking in punch. This subjectivity highlights the importance of matching the subwoofer to your expectations and existing speakers.
- Potential Drawbacks: While affordable, the Monoprice subwoofer comes with compromises. Some users report a noticeable hum at low volumes, and the lack of phase adjustment might limit fine-tuning integration with your main speakers. Additionally, its power output might not be enough for larger rooms or bass-heavy listeners.
- Who is it for?: If you’re on a tight budget, have a small space, and want a basic bass boost for casual listening, the Monoprice subwoofer presents a tempting option. However, audiophiles or those seeking room-filling bass should look elsewhere.
Conclusion: The Monoprice 60 Watt Powered Subwoofer offers an entry point into the world of subwoofers at an attractive price. While it delivers decent bass for its size and price, keep in mind the potential for hum, limited power, and the importance of matching it to your expectations and speaker setup. Carefully consider your needs and budget before deciding if this budget-friendly subwoofer is the right fit for you.