Picture The Word
Doing the following steps can help you learn new words.
- Look at the word and say it to yourself
- Picture the word in your mind
- Think about patterns you know in the word
- Cover the word and write it
- Check to see if you spelled the word correctly
List Challenge Words
English is a difficult language to learn to spell. Some words do not follow any spelling rules. These words are challenge words. Below is a list of some strategies to use to learn challenge words.
- Make a list of challenge words.
- Look at the list. Underline the parts of the word that you find easy to spell. Say each word to yourself.
- Keep the list close by so you can refer to them when you are writing.
- Try to spell these words to someone else to help you learn the correct spelling.